Minister of Social Solidarity Nevine al-Kabbaj on Monday handed a report to Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly regarding the establishment of the medical quarantine’s headquarters – done through cooperation with the ministries of health, higher education and youth and sports.
She added that her ministry operates nine headquarters in eight governorates with a total capacity of up to 4,305 families. Among these are the UNESCO headquarters in Monufiya which can hold up to 200 people.
These new headquarters include universities, youth centers and other places set aside to receive positive coronavirus cases who do not suffer severe symptoms, Kabbaj explained.
She added that pending headquarters include two areas in Cairo and one in Alexandria – all with a total capacity of 2,680 people.
Health Minister Hala Zayed said on April 8 that going forward the protocol for clinically simple cases of coronavirus who are less than 50 years old, do not suffer risk factors, and are in stable condition will be transferred to governmental university dormitories and designated youth hostels.
In a statement, Zayed explained that this move falls within the government’s plan to battle the coronavirus outbreak, guided by countries that have weathered similar crises.
These cases will be under the Health Ministry’s full medical supervision after spending the five-day treatment period according to the protocol, and their condition is evaluated.
She said that the follow-up period for these cases will be at medically prepared places until they recover and are discharged.
These places are medically equipped at the highest level in terms of accommodation, sterilization and hygiene – alongside follow-up clinics, laboratories, scan units, pharmacies and the necessary medical crews.
She said that 88 percent of infections in hospitalization suffer from minor symptoms, seven percent suffer from moderate symptoms, three percent suffer from severe symptoms, and two percent are in critical condition.
Egypt confirmed on April 20 that the total number of fully-recovered cases rose to 732, all of whom have been discharged from isolation hospitals.
Thirty-one cases left quarantine on Sunday.
A total of 1,001 positive cases have been tested in Egypt, with all results now returning negative, according to Health Ministry Spokesperson Khaled Megahed, with 112 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, bringing the country’s number of confirmed total cases so far to 3,144.
The total number of COVID-19 deaths has now reached two hundred and thirty-nine nationwide, after announcing fifteen deaths.