World

Russian forces make limited gains in offensive from Kherson, Ukrainian military says

Russian forces have made some progress in pushing north from the occupied southern city of Kherson towards Mykolaiv, according to Ukrainian officials.

The Ukrainian military’s General Staff said Monday that “in the Mykolaiv direction, the occupiers carried out assaults in the area of the settlement of Blahodatne, with partial success.”

On Sunday, the General Staff acknowledged that Russian forces had “occupied the southern outskirts of the settlement of Blahodatne, and hostilities continue.”

The area has seen almost constant combat for three months, but there has been little change in the position of the front lines. In early June, Ukraine said it had liberated the town from Russian occupation.

The border of the Luhansk and Donetsk regions also saw heavy fighting, according to Ukrainian officials. “Five massive enemy attacks were repelled; battles continue in six other directions,” regional authorities said.

There were rocket attacks on several settlements in Donetsk, which killed two people.┬áThe General Staff said that Russian forces had again tried to push southwards towards the city of Sloviansk, but “did not succeed and withdrew.” A similar offensive in the Bakhmut area further south had been repelled, it added.

Overall, there appears to have been little change in the frontlines running through Donetsk and Kharkiv regions, but CNN is unable to verify claims from either side on territory won and lost.

In the Dnipropetrovsk region, the town of Nikopol, across the Dnipro River from the Russian-occupied Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, continued to come under fire. Authorities said the area was hit with more than 40 shells and four people were injured.

There was also shelling in the city of Dnipro, according to the regional administration, with as many as 50 properties damaged.

Related Articles

Back to top button