The Russian Consul General in Hurghada, Viktor Voropaev said that 31 Russian tourists have suffered food poisoning during their stay in a hotel in Hurghada.
In statements to Al-Masry Al-Youm, Voropaev said that the health condition of the tourists is stable and they will be allowed to leave the hospital later on Sunday.
He added that he is closely following up the situation with health authorities and tourism companies to monitor medical care provided in the hospital.
The Russian consul confirmed that the tourists suffering from food poisoning will be transferred to an alternative hotel upon their discharge from the hospital.
On August 9, regular flights from Russia to Sharm el-Sheikh and Hurghada resumed after Moscow and Cairo agreed in April to fully resume air traffic between the two countries, including Egyptian resorts.
Flights between Russia and Egypt had been fully suspended since 2015, after a passenger plane traveling from Sharm el-Sheikh to St. Petersburg exploded over the Sinai Peninsula, killing all 217 passengers and seven crew members on board.
Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) determined the incident to be a terror attack.
The resumption of and increase in flights will contribute to boosting tourism in Egypt, as Russian tourism generated billions of dollars in revenue for the country.
Edited translations from Al-Masry Al-Youm