Military makes arrests, plans investigation after soccer rampage

Cairo's security authorities have detained 22 people in connection with the riots that took place during an Africa Champions League match at Cairo Stadium on Saturday. Eleven of those arrested have been referred to the military prosecution, and a committee is expected to be formed to investigate the causes of the disturbance.

A match between Egypt's Zamalek club and Tunisia's Club Africain turned violent as thousands of Zamalek supporters invaded the pitch during the last minutes of the game, apparently objecting to a decision from the referee. Investigators said those arrested were involved in thuggery, rioting and terrorizing and assaulting Egyptians and foreigners.

Those injured in the incident included a Tunisian player, a member of Africain's management team, two Tunisian fans, and two Egyptians. They suffered bruises and broken limbs.

Investigators said that the military prosecution will decide whether to release or try the 11 people referred to them.

In the wake of the arrests, the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) condemned the "negative practices and thuggery" that took place, and ordered the formation of a committee chaired by the Minister of Justice to probe the violence.

In its 32nd message on its Facebook page, the SCAF said such incidents tarnish the image of Egypt and its people. The message called on Egyptians to face such acts, which negatively impact the reputation of Egypt, adding that this is the guarantor of the advancement of Egypt and the stability of its economy.

Minister of Interior Mansour al-Essawi, meanwhile, had a phone conversation with his Tunisian counterpart in which he offered his apologise for the violence that broke out during the match.

Al-Essawi also said the majority of the Egyptian people reject the rioting, which interrupted the match, adding that the two nations have brotherly relations.

Translated from the Arabic Edition

Related Articles

Back to top button