World

At least 13 missing Niger migrants found dead in Sahara

At least 13 of the dozens of migrants from Niger abandoned by smugglers in the Sahara desert last week have been found dead in southern Algeria, a local official and a military source in Niger said on Friday.

Alat Mougaskia, the local representative of the Niamey government in the northern town of Arlit, said 13 bodies had been confirmed in one location. Mougaskia said another 33 people from the same convoy of mainly women and children were believed to have died elsewhere but their bodies had not been found yet.

A Niger military source, who asked not to be named, said Algerian security forces had found around 30 bodies in their southern desert zone.

There was no immediate comment from authorities in Algeria.

Related Articles

Back to top button