Egypt Independent

Egypt’s government warns of potential second wave of coronavirus



Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly on Wednesday noted that the last week of August has seen an increase in coronavirus infections, and ordered the government to continue enforcing all preventive measures and punish any violators.

In a ministerial meeting held Wednesday, Madbouly ordered all isolation hospitals continue to receive any coronavirus patients and follow all instructions by the Ministry of Health.

Health Minister Hala Zayed discussed several scenarios to be applied in the event of a second wave.

She warned that lax adherence among the public regarding precautionary measures such as wearing masks and social distancing has greatly increased the chances of a second wave.

Zayed also pointed out that while a coronavirus vaccine would greatly limit the outbreak, it would not stop transmissions from occurring in the first place.

Egypt on Wednesday confirmed 206 new coronavirus infections, bringing the country’s total number of confirmed cases to 97,825, the Ministry of Health announced in a statement.

The ministry also announced 19 new deaths, with the total amount of coronavirus related deaths now 5,317 nationwide.

Around 996 cases left quarantine on Wednesday, after receiving treatment according to the World Health Organization’s guidelines.

The total number of fully-recovered cases rose to 68,713, all of whom have been discharged from isolation hospitals.

Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population announced earlier in August that 21 isolation hospitals have been reinstated to treat moderate to severe COVID-19 cases, after these same hospitals had been shut down a few weeks ago.

Mild cases will remain isolated to home and given treatment there, the ministry said.

The Ministry said that mild cases will be isolated at home and treatment would be dispensed to them.