An Egyptian man fled from an isolation hospital in al-Delingat city in Egypt’s Beheira Governorate after testing positive for coronavirus.
Head of al-Delingat’s local council Kamel Ghattas said that the man escaped from Kafr al-Dawar Hospital after it was found that he had contracted the novel coronavirus.
The man then went to one of his relatives’ homes before going to his house.
During a phone-in with state-owned television Channel 1, Ghattas said that the man’s relatives refused to receive him and advised him to return to the hospital.
“His family turned him in to the police, and the man has been taken back to the hospital,” Ghattas said.
He added that health monitors write down all direct contacts of coronavirus cases, and were able to track down all the people that the man had contact with, in order to isolate them at home.
Ghattas said that there is great awareness among citizens about the dangers of coronavirus.
Egypt on Tuesday confirmed 789 new coronavirus cases, bringing the country’s number of confirmed total cases so far to 18,756.
The total number of COVID-19 deaths has now reached 797 nationwide, after announcing 14 deaths.
The newly infected cases are all Egyptian nationals, Health Ministry Spokesperson Khaled Megahed said, adding that the total number of fully-recovered cases rose to 5,027, all of whom have been discharged from isolation hospitals.
127 left quarantine on Tuesday.