The Egyptian Interior Ministry closed several roads in downtown Cairo on Saturday, to prepare for the transfer of 22 royal mummies from the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir to the National Museum of Egyptian Civilization in the Fustat area.
Al-Masry Al-Youm provides alternative routes and roads:
- All entry and exit points to and from Tahrir Square from the 15 May Bridge and the 6th of October Bridge will be closed, as well the Nile Street al-Galaa Bridge for the direction coming from Giza Governorate.
- The Corniche Road and the side streets leading to Tahrir Square from the Qasr al-Nil Bridge will be closed, as well as for those from in from Giza to the University Bridge and Abbas Bridge.
- The Misr-Helwan Road from the direction towards Athr al-Nabi Square will also be closed with the exits of al-Moneeb Bridge and the Autostrad leading to Athr al-Nabi Square.
The Golden Parade will move from the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir to the National Museum of Egyptian Civilization in Fustat, in a global procession that will be covered by more than 400 international channels and attended by a large number of artists and public figures.
The procession is scheduled to move on Saturday evening, from the Egyptian Museum in Tahrirthrough the Corniche then to the National Museum of Egyptian Civilization in Fustat, where the mummies will be laid to rest in a hall built similarly to an ancient tomb.
The Interior Ministry has also outlined alternative roads to closed streets during the parade: –
- Those coming from Talaat Harb Square and Sabry Abu Alam must enter Mahmoud Bassiony Street in the direction of the Abdel Moneim Riad Square, then to the 6th of October Bridge, then to Giza and the areas of eastern Cairo or take Ramses Street and then to downtown Cairo. Alternatively, they can take the Corniche Street to the areas of Shubra and Sahel north of Cairo
- Those coming Ramses area and the Corniche must enter the Abdel Moneim Riad Square area in the direction of Ramses or the 6th of October Bridge for eastern Cairo areas.
- Those coming from Giza on the 6th of October Bridge above the Hilton exit, must continue the road above the surface of the Upper 6th of October towards the exit of Abdel Moneim Riad Square.
- Those coming from the Corniche Road or from the Central Committee and those coming from Kamal Eddin Salah Tunnel must take the Corniche axis to the North Cairo area or turn right towards Ramses to head to north Cairo.
- Those coming from al-Galaa Street and the Nile Corniche must take the 15th of May Bridge to north Cairo and Giza Governorate.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm