Minister of Culture Enas Abdel Dayem handed over the awards of the 43rd session of the Cairo International Film Festival:
1- The International Competition Prizes
- The Henry Barakat Award for Best Artistic Contribution was granted to Jose Angel Alayon for his film “They Carry Death,” directed by Helena Giron and Samuel M. Delgado.
- The Best Actress Award was granted to Swamy Rotolo for her role in the “A Chiara” movie, directed by Jonas Carpignano.
- The Best Actor Award was granted to Mohamed Mamdouh for his role in the “Abusaddam” movie, directed by Nadine Khan.
- The Naguib Mahfouz Award for Best Screenplay was awarded to Peter Kerekes and Ivan Ostrochovsky for the “107 Mothers” movie, directed by Kerekes.
- The Bronze Pyramid Award, given to a director for his first or second work, went to “Aloners,” directed by Hong Sung-eun.
- The Silver Pyramid Award (Special Jury Prize) went to Laura Samani, director of “Small Body”.
- The Golden Pyramid Award for Best Film went to “The Hole in the Fence”, directed by Joaquín del Paso.
2 -The Public Vote Award (Yousef Sherif Rizkallah Prize) went to the “Daughters of Abdul Rahman”, directed by Zaid Abu Hamdan.
3- Short Film Competition Awards
- Youssef Chahine Award for Best Short Film went to “Nowta Amyaa” (Blind Spot) directed by Lotfy Ashour.
- The Special Jury Prize went equally to the “Then Came Darkness” directed by Marie-Rose Usta, and the “Wala Haga Ya Nagy, E’fel” (There is Nothing Nagy, Close), directed by Yohanna Nagy.
4-Awards for the Arab Cinema Horizons Competition
- The Saad Eddin Wahba Award for Best Film went to “Maya’s Notebooks- Memory Box”, directed by Joanna Haji Toma and Khalil Georgie.
- The Salah Abu Seif Award (Special Jury Prize) was awarded to the “Fiasco” film, directed by Nicolas Khoury.
- The Best Non-Fiction Film Award was awarded to the documentary film “Men al-Qahera” (From Cairo) directed by Hala Galal.
- The Best Acting Performance Award was awarded to Afifa Ben Mahmoud for her role in the movie “Atyaf” (Streams) directed by Mahdi Hemili.
- Special mention for the movie “A Second Life,” directed by Anis al-Aswad.
5- Prizes of the International Critics’ Week Competition
- The Shadi Abdel Salam Award for Best Film, given to the director, went to Amir Fakhr Eddin, for “al-Ghareeb” (The Stranger) movie.
- The Fathy Farag Prize (Special Jury Prize) was awarded to the “Wild Roots”movie, directed by Hanji Keis.
- Special mention to actress Arcelia Ramírez, for her role in the “La Civil” movie directed by Teodora Mihai.
6- Best Arab Film Award
- The Best Arab Film award went to “al-Ghareeb” (The Stranger), directed by Amir Fakhr Eddin.
- Special mention for the “Fiasco” movie, directed by Nicolas Khoury.
7-The FIPRESCI Prize went to the “Ghadwa” (Tomorrow) directed by Dhaffer L’Abidine.