Black Head Temple antiquities exhibition held in Alexandria Library

An exhibition for pieces from the Black Head Temple will be held at the Alexandrina Bibliotheca from September 10 until December 10.
The exhibition will display several statues dating back to the second and third centuries and will include nine panels that provide information about and track the history of the displayed antiquities.
The Black Head Temple was discovered in the al-Raas al-Sawda (black head) area in 1936 on the road to Abu Qir, northeast of Alexandria. 
The temple was built between the second and third centuries AD and has a staircase leading to a vestibule that includes four Ionic pillars.
In the middle of the vestibule stands a statue for an exposed foot on a short pillar of marble which bears an inscription in Greek. Roman Knight Aazodorus had fallen and broken his foot and when he recovered, he built this temple to honor the goddess Isis.
At the end of the vestibule, several statues stand on a large base for the gods and goddesses Isis, Harpocrates and others.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm

Related Articles

Back to top button