Attorney General Abdel Meguid Mahmoud has issued summonses for ousted President Hosni Mubarak and his two sons, Alaa and Gamal, for investigation into charges of corruption.
Judicial sources say the attorney general called on Interior Minister Mansour al-Essawy to take all necessary security measures prior to their summoning.
Mubarak and his two sons are facing charges of profiting from their positions, the seizure of public funds, and the illegal accumulation of wealth during Hosni Mubarak's reign as president. A number of lawyers submitted a report to the attorney general last month in which they accused Hosni Mubarak of being involved in shooting protesters and inciting chaos in the country during the 25 January revolution that toppled his regime.
Tens of thousands of Egyptians protested in Tahrir Square in downtown Cairo on Friday to demand the speedy trial of the former president and his henchmen, and complained at the slow pace of the investigations. On 28 February, Mahmoud imposed a travel ban on Mubarak and his family and froze their assets abroad.
In related news, Hosni Mubarak denied accusations that he abused his authority to amass wealth and property in his first speech since his ouster.
In an audio message broadcast on the Saudi-owned news channel Al-Arabiya on Sunday, Mubarak says he is willing to cooperate in any investigation to prove that he did not own any property abroad or have foreign bank accounts.
The news channel says the speech was recorded on Saturday after demonstrators gathered in Cairo to demand that the country's ruling military council launch an investigation into Mubarak's wealth, a key demand of Egyptians who forced Mubarak to leave office on 11 February after 18 days of mass demonstrations.
Mubarak also rejected what he labeled as "false allegations" against him, which he said were "aimed to ruin" his reputation.
"I will reserve my right to sue anyone who tried to undermine me or my reputation," the 81-year-old said.
Translated from the Arabic Edition